I read a book called Flower Confidential and it helped me broaden my understanding of the floral biz. The most interesting takeaways for me were:
- At some point I will go visit the flower Auction in Alsameer outside of Amsterdam. Huge pallets of flowers are bid on, bought and shipped around the world from here.
- Flowers have to take at least one plane ride, maybe two to get to you.
- They have to go through customs like we do when we enter the country.
- Flowers can be cut off the stem for at least a week or so before heading out to the wholesaler.
- Flowers are more resilient than we think!